The Unted Arab Emirates is located at the southeast end of the Arabian Peninsula on the Persian Gulf and bordered to the North by the Arabian Gulf, to the East by the Gulf of Oman and Sultanate of Oman, to the South by Saudi Arabia and Sultanate of Oman and to the West by Qatar and Saudi Arabia.
The size of the country is 83,600 Sq. km. what is a little bit bigger than Scotland. Four-fifths of the UAE is desert but has contrasting landscapes—from the towering red dunes of the Liwa to the rich palm-filled Oasis of Al Ain, from the precipitous Hajjar Mountains to the more fertile stretches of its coastal plains.
The United Arab Emirates is a constitutional federation and consists of seven emirates: Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, Ras Al Khaimah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain and Fujairah. The capital is Abu Dhabi. In 2004, His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan became the President and has since continued to strive towards an ambitious vision for the UAE.
The country is governed by a Federal Supreme Council made up of the seven emirs. All responsibilities not granted to the national government are reserved to the emirates. The rulers of emirates are:
- Sharjah – H. H. Dr. Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi;
- Ajman – H. H. Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi;
- Umm Al Quwain – H. H Sheikh Saud bin Rashid Al Mu’alla;
- Ras Al Khaimah – H. H. Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi;
- Fujairah – H. H Sheikh Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi;
- and H. H. Sheikh Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum in Dubai, who is also is the Prime Minister and Vice President of the country;
- the President is a ruler of Abu Dhabi.
The largest cities are Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Sharjah where population is over 1 million people; in Dubai is over than 2m. The population is estimated to be 9,156,963 in 2015, which is almost a hundred times bigger than is was 55 years ago – 92,612 (1960)
The official language is arabic, but english is also common in the area scince the British protection. Other spread languages are farsi, hindi and urdu.
The UAE is an islamic country (77% are muslims), but it is allowed to confess other religions.